The above article is the opinion of the author and not necessarily the opinion of Vegas Community Online, its editors/publishers, and/or other Vegas Community Online columnists. VCO respects the right of each author to express their opinion. If you have an opposing viewpoint or would like to send feedback on any article, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org; state the title of the article and your comments. VCO reserves the right to add any submissions to its feedback page.
If you have children you may want to install parental control software.
- Read in-depth about creating the best password.
- Password your computer accounts. details
- Choose strong passwords. details
- Do not store passwords or sensitive personal information on your computer. details
- Do not use the same password for many accounts. details
- Use temporary passwords when using a public computer. details
- Be very careful when typing in links in your browser. details
- Read about phishing scams and see detailed tips.
- Make sure site is secure before entering personal information.
- Be very careful when clicking on links in an email.
- Do not enter private information or login using a popup window.
- Do not respond to emails that ask for private information.
- Watch out for suspicious emails.
- Login to your accounts regularly and make sure nothing is amiss.
- Use a program to erase your tracks. details
- Instant messenger programs are *not* secure. Whatever is typed in goes through a public server and it is not encrypted.
- Make sure you are using a secure connection when making internet purchases.
- Register with the national do-not-call register. details
- Consider browsing the web anonymously.